Current Job Openings
Berkeley Playhouse is hiring! We are currently looking to fill the following positions:
Producing Director for Education and Mainstage
Berkeley Playhouse is currently seeking a Producing Director.
About Berkeley Playhouse:
Our mission is to create theater and programs that engage, ignite, and celebrate diverse Bay Area audiences through a thriving arts education department, a professional mainstage season, and community outreach. In support of our mission, we maintain and enhance the historic Julia Morgan Theater. A commitment to community, equity, diversity, inclusion, and empowerment is at the heart of our work.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a strategic, detail-oriented, and positive person to manage our thriving performance-based education program. This role will also work with the Executive Artistic Director (EAD), assisting on production elements for our mainstage season.
Previous experience in Education is required. Previous experience in a non-profit theater is preferred.
This role will be part of the leadership team of the Berkeley Playhouse, and will report directly to the EAD. This role works in both education and mainstage production.
This is a salaried, full-time, exempt, position with benefits. Berkeley Playhouse is an equal-opportunity employer. This position requires some evening and weekend hours.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Along with the EAD, ensuring that the core values & mission of Berkeley Playhouse are upheld in all aspects of the organization.
- Ongoing Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion work and creating pathways to increase diversity in our student body and our audiences
- Oversees Berkeley Playhouse educational volunteer program
- Creates and oversees overall education budgets and manages education payroll
- Mainstage producing responsibilities
- Youthstage production support, including managing YouthStage casting and registration
- Education programs parent liaison
- Along with EAD, attend community events & workshops as a representative of the organization
- Attend mainstage opening nights, first rehearsals, and techs as needed for production support\
- Community representation within Theater Bay Area and the broader Bay Area community
- Facilitate weekly education meetings
- Help with production of Youthstage program
- Ensures that all curriculum and education titles are thoughtfully aligned with Berkeley Playhouse mission and values - final approval for titles and programs by EAD
- Supervise Classes & Camps Manager and Youthstage Production Manager
- Educators appreciation and conflict resolution management with other education staff
- Managing calendars and tasks within education
- Produces, plans, and staffs community building events and fairs, along with the marketing manager
- This position includes nights, weekends as needed.
- Knowledge and experience in musical theater and theater education
- A minimum of 3 years managerial, supervising, and/or producing experience, with expertise in working with both programs and people
- Exceptionally strong communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills; is able to manage multiple projects at once
- A positive attitude and the ability to remain effective and diplomatic under pressure
- Excellent time management skills and great attention to detail
- A high degree of emotional maturity and flexibility
- Growth mindset with an eagerness to continuously improve
- Able to thrive within atypical work hours and schedules (example: holiday camps or weekend performances)
- Expertly manages projects from conception through execution and evaluation
- Managerial and leadership skills and the ability to delegate in a complex, dynamic atmosphere
Interested applicants should submit the following to email@example.com:
- 2 references (email and phone number)
- An introductory letter answering the following:
- Why are you interested in working at Berkeley Playhouse?
- How does your skill set match the demands of an Producing Director?
Berkeley Playhouse Conservatory is seeking vibrant, inspiring, dynamic and experienced musical theatre teaching artists for after school classes and holiday camps.
Applicants should have significant experience in performing as well as directing and teaching children. Classes are arranged by age and experience level; students range in ages from 2-18 and are enrolled at various levels from beginner through pre-professional.
How to Apply / Contact:
Interested applicants should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Teaching Artist” in the subject line:
- Teaching/acting resume
- 3 references (email and phone number)
We are accepting resumes for all technical crew. Please submit your resume to Production Manager, Cameron Pence: email@example.com
Front of House Staff
We are currently accepting resumes for front of house staff positions. Responsibilities include general house management duties such as checking tickets, directing patrons to their seats, seating late patrons, and working counter service at concessions when necessary. Must be available to work Thursdays through Sundays during productions. Please submit your resume to Director of Patron Services, Sean Griffin: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are not currently hiring for Front of House Staff. We will keep all resumes received and contact applicants when the theater resumes production.