Summer 2023 YouthStage Spotlight Show:
Ages 9-18 |
Rehearsals begin June 10, 2023
Video Submissions due Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Audiences were brought to their feet by the production of School of Rock last summer. Don’t miss your chance to audition for Berkeley Playhouse’s YouthStage Spotlight Show on the Julia Morgan stage!
Evolving from the YouthStage Intensive Program, the YouthStage Spotlight Show is an opportunity for young actors to take their next step toward professional theater. Actors will audition for a role, rehearse on scheduled evenings and weekends with professional theater artists, and perform a fully produced production on the Julia Morgan Stage. Guest Artist workshops are also included in this program. Note: not everyone who auditions will be cast in this production.
Video Submission Deadline:
Wednesday, November 30, 2022
In-Person Callback Dates (Actors do not need to be available for all dates):
Thursday, Dec. 8, 6-8pm (actors ages 9-12)
Sunday, Dec. 11, 6pm-9pm
Wednesday, Dec. 14, 6pm-9pm
Starting 6/10, rehearsals will take place:
Monday-Thursdayday, 4:30-8:30pm (No rehearsal on 6/16, 6/23, 7/1-7/4, 7/10)
Saturday & Sunday, 10am-6pm
Mandatory tech rehearsals are:
7/15 at 7pm
7/16 at 2pm & 7pm
7/20 at 7pm
7/21 at 7pm
7/22 at 1pm & 7pm
7/23 at 2pm
General Audition Info: All first round auditions will be video submissions. Actors must choose ONE (1) of the songs and ONE (1) of the sides listed below as well as a full-body recording of the actor dancing the choreography combo. Also, if the actor tap dances or tumbles, they are encouraged to demonstrate it in the submission. We will be accepting video audition submissions until November 30, 2022 . Please email all audition links to email@example.com.
In-person Callbacks: Some participants will be asked to prepare specific callback materials. A separate email will be sent directly to these performers via email. Not all performers will be asked/needed at callback.
Casting: Not every actor will be cast in the Spotlight Show. Some roles will be double cast. Casting offers may be extended. Actors not cast in the Spotlight Show will be offered a first spot in the YouthStage Summer Productions of Spamalot!
Age Requirements & Tuition: YouthStage Spotlight Show actors must be at least age 9 by the opening performance (7/15). Tuition is $2300. Scholarships are available.
Safety Procedures: Berkeley Playhouse is following all health and safety guidelines of the City of Berkeley. At this time, all rehearsals will be in person with masks strongly recommended with symptom monitoring. Please note: We are only accepting fully-vaccinated students unless they have a legally documented medical or religious exemption.
How to Audition:
1) Please fill out this audition form HERE and conflict calendar HERE and email along with your video.
2) Actors must choose ONE (1) of the songs and ONE (1) of the sides listed below, as well as a full-body recording of the actor dancing the chorepgraphy combo. Also, if the actor tap dances or tumbles they are encouraged to demonstrate it in the submission. We will be accepting video audition submissions until November 30, 2022. Please email all audition links to firstname.lastname@example.org.
"The Bottom Line"
Reference Track (1:11-1:40)
Accompaniment Track (1:06-1:37)
"Carrying the Banner"
Reference Track (:45-1:12)
Accompaniment Track (:44-1:13)
"Watch What Happens”
Reference Track (0:56-1:23)
Accompaniment Track (:58-1:28)
Katherine / Jack - Click here for side
Pulitzer / Jack - Click here for side
Jack / Crutchie - Click here for side
Davey / Jack / Newsie - Click here for side
VIDEO RECORDING HINTS AND TIPS:
- For choreo please make sure your camera angle includes your full body
- For scene work, make sure your camera angle is from the waist up
- For vocal and scene work, use the camera as your scene partner. Play directly to the camera
- Don't have a scene partner? No problem! Just read the lines assigned for your character.
- If at all possible please try to combine all of the elements (vocal, scene work, choreo) in one video
- Use your phone to record video, and another device to playback accompaniment
- Large files can be sent via dropbox or youtube (be sure to mark as unlisted). Just upload and send us the link
About Disney's Newsies:
Seize the day with this jubilant story about fighting for what is right, based on the real-life Newsboys Strike of 1899. Jack Kelly, the charming leader of a group of young newsboys, rallies newsies from all over New York City to strike together in protest of rising distribution prices and unjust conditions. Based on the hit movie.
Meet the Artistic Team!
DIRECTOR — Mel Martinez
Resident Youthstage Director and Director of 2022 Mainstage's In the Heights, Berkeley Playhouse
MUSIC DIRECTOR — Daniel Alley
Resident YouthStage Music Director, Berkeley Playhouse